The Ultimate Survival Firearm
Part of my tier-2 survival kit (which I keep in my car) is a Ruger 10/22 rifle. From a pure survival perspective (I’m talking wilderness survival not end-of-the-world scenario where you’re fending off looters) I feel a 22 LR rifle (especially the Ruger 10/22) is the ultimate survival firearm. Here are the benefits:
- It’s super reliable: Whether you’re in an environment that is sandy, cold, hot, dry, or humid the 10/22 can take the stress and keep on shooting. I’ve shot Ruger 10/22s that haven’t been cleaned for over a decade with regular use and it still fires not only reliably but accurately as well.
- They are cheap: For under $250 you can get yourself a brand-new rifle and for under $200 you can get a great used one.
- The ammo is dirt cheap: From a price perspective, the cost of 22LR ammunition is almost negligible. Even in the current high-demand environment you can get a box of 550 rounds for around $13! No other ammo can compare.
- The ammo is light: My bug-out bag contains a box of 550 rounds of 22LR ammunition which is a considerable amount of ammunition and a negligible amount of weight. All very important when mobility is key.
- They are relatively quiet: When shooting the 22 LR it sounds more like a glorified BB gun then a rifle. This can be a huge advantage if you need a meal and don’t want to attract attention (I also love the crossbow for this reason…more on that in another post). If you want even less sound then be sure to purchase subsonic rounds (these are a bit more expensive).
- They’re very accurate: If you’re shooting within 100 yards, the 22L rifle is extremely accurate. Perfect for small game.
- They’re easy to store and maintain: Most 22 LR rifles (like the Ruger 10/22) are very easy to maintain and when broken down they can fit into a bug-out bag without a problem.
Let me reiterate that I do not recommend the 10/22 or any 22 LR rifle as a home defense weapon. For that purpose, there are far better options available like a shotgun, pistol, or larger-caliber semi-auto carbine like an AR-15 or AK.
But with that said, I wouldn’t trade my 10/22 for any other firearm when caught out in the wilds. So what are you waiting for? Go out and get yourself one!